Welcome to our lab! We do research that spans computer science, robotics, and biology in many different ways. Our members come from many disciplines including applied math, CS, EE, ME and biology. Our lab is committed to having a diverse, creative, interdisciplinary, team-oriented, socially-minded, nurturing and fun environment.
Lab Address: Our Lab has moved to the Allston SEC! Science and Engineering Complex (SEC), 150 Western Ave, Allston, 02134. We are on the 4th floor, 4.101-01/02.
- Julia Ebert, PhD Student, Robotics-CS
- Florian Berlinger, PhD Student, Robotics-CS
- Jordan Kennedy, PhD Student, MechE-Bio
- Bahar Haghighat, SNSF Postdoc Fellow, Robotics-EE
- Helen McCreery, James S. McDonnell Postdoc Fellow, Biology
- Undergraduate Researchers: Georgina Gemayel (USC), Candice Chen (Harvard), Suverino Frith (WPI)
- Prof. George Lauder (Harvard) [BioRobotics]
- Prof. Simon Garnier (NJIT) [Social Insects]
- Prof. L. Mahadevan (Harvard) [Biophysics]
- Root Robotics @ iRobot: Ziv Dubrowsky, Raphael Cherney, and others.
- Former Lab Members: Prof. Mike Rubenstein (Northwestern), Prof. Jeff Dusek (Olin College), Dr. Justin Werfel (Wyss Institute)
- Prof. Rob Wood, Harvard MicroRobotics Lab [Co-lead Wyss Institute BioRobotics]
- Dr. Mishu Dudata, UMinn and Prof. Zeynep Temel, CMU [Robotics]
- Prof. Nancy Lynch (MIT) and Prof. Anna Dornhaus (Univ. of Arizona) [Theory/Social Insects]
- Prof. Scott Turner (SUNY Syracuse) [Social Insects].
Our lab has progeny! Our alumni include 12 faculty (Cornell, Northwestern, Olin, Stanford, MIT, Bristol, etc ), two startups (Appier, RootRobotics), and several engineers (Google, Apple, Amazon, etc).
Postdocs and PhD Students:
- Melinda Malley, PhD 2020, Visiting Faculty @ Olin College
- Nicole Carey, Postdoc, 2015-2019, Researcher @ AutoDesk Robotics
- Melvin Gauci, Wyss TechDev fellow, 2015-2019, Researcher @ Amazon Robotics
- Daniel Calovi, Postdoc, 2015-2019, Researcher @ Max Planck Institute, Germany
- Jeff Dusek, Postdoc 2016-17, Faculty @ Olin College
- Kirstin Petersen, PhD 2014, Faculty @ Cornell (Packard Fellow 2019!)
- Mike Rubenstein, Postdoc 2011-15, Faculty @ Northwestern (Sloan Fellow 2018)
- Monica Ortiz, Postdoc 2013-15, STEM Faculty @ Greenwich Academy
- Alex Cornejo, Postdoc 2012-14, Engineer, Google
- Nils Napp, Postdoc 2012-14, Faculty @ SUNY Buffalo
- Richard Moore, Postdoc 2012-14, Engineer, SINTEF (Norway)
- Karthik Dantu, Postdoc 2011-13, Faculty @ SUNY BUffalo
- Spring Berman, Postdoc 2011-12, Faculty @ Arizona State Univ (Tenured 2018!)
- Sabine Hauert, Affiliate, Faculty @ Univ. of Bristol, UK
- Leia Stirling, Affiliate, Faculty @ Univ. of Michigan (Tenured 2019)
- Yong-lae Park, Wyss Fellow 2010-13, Faculty @ CMU
- Bor-rong Chen, Postdoc 2009-11, Engineer, Apple
- Tyler Gibson, PhD 2011, Postdoc, CalTech
- Nick Hoff, PhD 2011, Researcher, BBN
- Chih-han Yu, PhD 2010, Founder CEO, Appier
- Ankit Patel, PhD 2008, Faculty @ Rice University and Baylor College
- Daniel Yamins, PhD 2008, Faculty @ Stanford
- Justin Werfel, PhD 2006, Senior Research Scientist, Wyss Institute
- Paula Wulkop (ETH Masters Student, 2020)
- Jeremy Wanner (EPFL, Masters Student, 2020)
- Lucie Houel (EPFL Masters Student, 2019)
- Florian Berlinger (ETH 2016, Low-cost Underwater Robot)
- Luca Brusatin (EPFL 2015, Kilobot Dispersion Algorithms)
- Lucian Cucu (EPFL 2014, Self-Assembling Robots)
- Raphael Cherney (EPFL 2012, Optic Flow Aerial Vehicles) => RootRobotics co-founder!
- Adrian Cabrera (EPFL 2011, Collective Transport)
- Jona Raphael (BU 2011, Wearable Hand Orthotic)
- Julius Degesys (2008, Self-organizing Networks)
- FX Williems (2007, Self-adapting Modular Robots)
- Jimming and Winston Cheng (2005, Shapebugs Algorithm)
Undergraduates: Billy Koech (Harvard, EE Senior Thesis, 2019-2020), Lucas Guzman (Harvard, 2019-2020), Gabriel Thomas Seymour (Columbia, 2019), Katherine Binney (Harvard, CS Senior Thesis, 2018-2019), Audrey Jones (MSU, 2018), Sophia Nielsen (Olin, 2018), Noon Farsab (Rochestor, 2018), Erika Gutierrez (CSUSB, 2018), Isabel Schaal (F&M, 2018), Katya Soltan (Olin, 2017), Arielle-Cherie Paterson (UMBC, 2017), Jesus Hernandez (Swarthmore, 2017), Ranye Mclendon (UMBC, 2017), Kayla Engelsted (UMinn, 2017), Erika Gutierrez (CSUSB, 2017), Annaleah Ernst (2016-17), Serena Booth (2015-16, Hoopes Prize Winner), Elizabeth Esterly (UNM, 2016), Suproteem Sarkar (2016), Lilly Percival (Bunker Hill, 2016), Marley Asford (2016), Sara Lewis (2016), David Becerra (2015), Dylan Altschuler (Princeton, 2015), Jonathan Budd (2015), Bo Cimino (2015), Devin Carroll (2014), Max Kanwal (2014), Jao-ke Chin-Lee (2012), Rapheal Cherney (Olin, 2012), Jessica Wu, Olive Rappoli (WPI), Neena Kamath, Peter Bailis (Now Faculty @ Stanford), Fiona Wood, KyuBok Lee, Susan Zheng (CMU), Noah Olsman (USC), Rebecca Belisle (Olin College, Now Faculty @ Wellesley!),Sid Chandrasekhran, Svilen Kanev, David Robinson, Kristina Haller (MIT), Andrei Munteanu, Crystal Schuil, Matthew Valente
Other Group Members: Zack Zeiper (Harvard PhD Student, 2019), Christian Ahler (Research Staff, 2012), Ernesto Martinez-Villalpando (co-advised postdoc), Chandana Paul (postdoc), Mirko Bordignon (Visitor, Univ of Southern Denmark), Ian Rose (grad student), Joe Barillari (grad student).